Is that kind of like being told ‘mind your own business”? Perhaps in a way it is, but would it actually have made any difference if My Lord Jesus had sat down and told those around Him the actual date that the End of The World, as we know it, would take place? It all happened so long ago in Jerusalem and I think people would have discarded the warning by now, because evil will cause people to become lax, forgetful, lazy, ungodly and distracted.
In Matthew’s Gospel (24:36) it is recorded: “”No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” And in Mark’s we are told: “”No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” That all seems plain enough but “what if”. What if Jesus had given them a time plan, something concrete they could point to and say “Here He Comes”.
You know in a way He actually did do that, but we are too busy enjoying our current life style that we ignore the obvious signposts.
Quite clearly Jesus said to be aware of those who will come, claiming the time is near (Luke 21:7-8) – Do not be deceived. Yet in recent memory we have had many so-called prophets declaring the end is nigh! (Top 10 failed predictions). Jesus warned us this would happen.
How about all the terror striking doomsday predictions of war and disaster? You cannot catch a news broadcast or read a newspaper/magazine without a headline warning of impending disaster in the Middle East, which will bring the world to its knees if not also to an end.
If that does not cause you to have sleepless nights stricken with terror, then the multiple daily reports of earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions, plus flooding in some areas and raging fires and fierce weather around the planet should have you screaming in fear. Of course you are aware of the famine and pestilence which is now plaguing the planet? Diseases for which we have no medicines and crop failures which will bring starvation to the first world should have turned – what is left of your hair – white!
Jesus clearly warned us about all these things and said DO NOT BE FRIGHTENED.
Luke 21:9-11 “When you hear of wars and revolutions, do NOT BE FRIGHTENED. These things must happen first, but the end will not come right away.” Then he said to them: “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven.”
•• Do NOT be FRIGHTENED, Jesus said, by awesome events in the end times (or any other time).
• The 9.2 Alaska earthquake in 1964 (“great earthquakes”) did NOT mean it was the end.
• The killer tsunamis in Asia recently do NOT necessarily mean the end is near — “the end will not come right away”, even after numerous cataclysmic events.
Jesus took the time to advise His followers that there would be a time of terrible persecution, that they would even be persecuted by their families and friends. If you check the news you will find that Christians are being persecuted in all areas of their lives. Of course we hear about those persecutions in eastern countries. Yet many of these persecutions do not reach the main stream media.
Do you consider it a form of persecution to have GOD taken out of every aspect of your daily life? I am thinking about God and our Governments, our Schools, our Work Place; it seems God no longer has any place in secular society. Prison Chaplains, Hospital Chaplains, School Chaplains, Military Chaplains, must refrain from bringing God into the conversation. I will be attending in a voluntary capacity, a local aged care facility soon – I wonder if it will be considered inappropriate to wish someone ‘God Speed or God Bless’?
Yes Jesus warned us that End Times would be terribly hostile:
(Luke 21:16-19) You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. All men will hate you because of me. But not a hair of your head will perish. By STANDING FIRM you will gain life.
Blind Freddie knows that Space Agencies are predicting wondrous events such as what is happening with CURIOSITY which is currently exploring Mars. However Jesus did foretell that we would see signs and wonders in the heavens. He also told us that terrible things would happen to the planet we currently call home:
(Luke 21:25-28) “There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. (“Bodies” is plural…… so perhaps other planets and stars will also undergo these terrible changes)
At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things BEGIN to take place, stand up and LIFT UP YOUR HEADS, because your redemption is drawing near.”
These specific signs of the end times signal the Lord’s soon coming.
And what is our proper response?
Stand up, look up, rejoice, and get ready!
Here He comes!
But what is happening in reality? Sure some people are frightened, and some are preparing spiritually, but mostly people are carrying on as if nothing is happening. They drink, they play, they gamble, they party; they live as if they have forever in front of them with no cares about tomorrow. Greed and avarice abound!
Jesus told us not to be too concerned with the ‘birth pangs’…… He likened the coming changes to a woman giving birth who experiences the “birthing pains – contractions”. They start off slowly, a few twinges here and there, a bit of a backache perhaps, and then slowly build up until they become almost unbearable. Those early pains / changes Jesus refers to as ‘pangs’…. but any woman who has given birth knows they will increase in intensity until the final, almost unbearable pain that brings forth new life.
You know this is what is happening currently. As an example:
Between October of 1991 and November of 2004 — a period of 13 years — the United States experienced:
9 of the 10 largest insurance natural disasters in history.
9 of the 10 greatest disasters as ranked by FEMA relief costs.
5 of its costliest hurricanes in history.
3 of its 4 largest tornado swarms in history.
And keep in mind that these statistics were complied before the Hurricane Katrina disaster in August of 2005!
Since then many others (more and more) so-called natural disasters have taken place in places such as Chile, Haiti, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Should we fear? NO, Should we be aware and prepared? YES. We do not know at what time The Bridegroom will arrive, and we do not want to be caught drowsy or asleep.
Luke 21:36 Tells us: Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.
David Reagan tells us there are many verses in Scripture we need to be aware of, prophecies concerning the evil times we now find ourselves living in. These are all indications I believe that we are living in the time Jesus was telling us to watch out for. He just did not give us the day of the week, the month of the year or the year itself.
Here he lists 50 of those prophecies.
1) Increasing instability of nature. (Matthew 24:7 & Luke 21:11)
2) Increasing lawlessness and violence. (Matthew 24:12)
3) Increasing immorality. (Matthew 24:37)
4) Increasing materialism. (2 Timothy 3:2)
5) Increasing Hedonism. (2 Timothy 3:4)
6) Increasing influence of Humanism. (2 Timothy 3:2)
7) Depraved entertainment. (2 Timothy 3:4)
8) Calling evil good and good evil. (2 Timothy 3:3 & Isaiah 5:20)
9) Increasing use of drugs. (2 Timothy 3:3)
10) Increasing blasphemy. (2 Timothy 3:2)
11) Increasing paganism. (2 Timothy 3:1-4)
12) Increasing despair. (2 Timothy 3:1)
13) Signs in the heavens. (Luke 21:11,25)
14) Increasing knowledge. (Daniel 12:4)
15) Increasing travel. (Daniel 12:4)
16) The explosion of cults. (Matthew 24:11)
17) The proliferation of false Christ’s. (Matthew 24:5)
18) Increasing apostasy in the Church. (2 Timothy 4:3-5)
19) Increasing attacks on Jesus. (Romans 1:18-19)
20) Increasing attacks on the Bible. (Romans 1:18-19)
21) Increasing persecution of Christians. (Matthew 24:9)
22) Increasing occultism. (1 Timothy 4:1)
23) Wars and rumors of wars. (Matthew 24:6)
24) Weapons of mass destruction. (Luke 21:26)
25) Increasing famine. (Luke 21:11)
26) Increasing pestilence. (Luke 21:11)
27) Computer technology. (Revelation 13:7)
28) Television. (Revelation 11:8-9)
29) Satellite technology. (Revelation 11:8-9)
30) Virtual reality. (Revelation 13:14-15)
31) Unification of Europe. (Daniel 2 & 7)
32) Far Eastern military powers. (Revelation 9:16 & 16:12)
33) Movement toward world government. (Daniel 7:23-26)
34) Regathering of the Jews. (Isaiah 11:10-12)
35) Re-establishment of Israel. (Isaiah 66:7-8)
36) Reclamation of the land of Israel. (Ezekiel 36:34-35)
37) Revival of Biblical Hebrew. (Zephaniah 3:9; Jeremiah 31:23)
38) Re-occupation of Jerusalem. (Luke 21:24)
39) Resurgence of the Israeli military. (Zechariah 12:6)
40) Re-focusing of world politics on Israel. (Zechariah 12:3)
41) Russian threat to Israel. (Ezekiel 38 and 39)
42) Arab threat to Israel. (Ezekiel 35 and 36)
43) Denial of the Second Coming. (2 Peter 3:3-4)
44) Denial of creation by God. (Romans 1:18-22)
45) Outpouring of the Holy Spirit. (Joel 2:28-29)
46) Translation of the Bible into many languages. (Matthew 24:14)
47) Preaching of the Gospel worldwide. (Matthew 24:14)
48) The revival of Messianic Judaism. (Romans 9:27)
49) The revival of Davidic praise worship. (Amos 9:11)
50) The understanding of Bible prophecy. (Daniel 12:8-9)
This list could be greatly expanded, but the 50 examples above should be sufficient to show that we are living in the season of the Lord’s return.
The Bible clearly teaches that God never pours out His wrath without warning for He is a just and loving God who does not wish that any should perish (2 Peter 3:9). That’s why He has provided so many signs to alert us to the fact that we are living on the threshold of the Tribulation.
Tribulation is coming, but after that Church –
Look to The Heavens as Our Lord and Redeemer,
The King of Glory comes to take His seat upon His Throne.